Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey, I'm Chris
I'm British and live in Osnabrueck,  North Germany. I've recently retired, so at the beginning of May, I bought a 1981 CB 400 N. According to the registration, it was born (?) with 43 bhp, but I'm guessing that some of the hp's have left the paddock for greener grass elsewhere. Maybe I can get some back, maybe not, we shall see....

The bike itself is flying its original (metallic-red) colours and trim, obviously some scratches, a couple of tiny dents but on the  whole, it's in a very honest condition. The previous (74 y.o.) owner had renewed the tyres, had the wheels custom painted (black with a red stripe) and I'm measuring  almost new brake disks (5mm): unfortunately he suffered a back/neck problem which after surgery meant - no more biking for him....

Im not planning much for 2018 - probably just day rides and weekend tours as I need to get used to the bike properly and sort a few things out. I've previously owned a couple of Beemers (Bombadier - F650's), the first was stolen in Bulgaria, the second managed 80,000 km in a year travelling to the very edges of the world  OZ, NZ, USA and Canada.

I chose the Honda for a tour I'm planning in 2019 - starting off from Germany and traveling through France, Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar and then over to Morocco for further adventures - about 3-4 months in all and I felt I needed a bike that #1, wouldn't invite immediate thievery and #2, I could work on along the way - no complications; no cat, no injection and no computer. Will I blog it ? - still thinking about that....

What I'm hoping to gain from HOC membership ? Certainly some touring/ technical advice and maybe some pointing in the right direction for sourcing parts. I'm certainly willing to give my  advice on long distance touring/touring to the very edges of the world (see above), touring in Germany and anything else I can.

Blue Skies to all...

Chris

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum

Alan
Forum Administrator
Forum admin for CB1300 forum

Owns a CBF1000 FAC and a CB1300SA-A
Nice introduction Chris, and welcome aboard!
Everyone knows Red VFRs are faster than any other colour. 
Chris a big welcome from Somerset.
Regards

Jimmy B
[Image: eagle1.gif]

Keep the Rubber Side down

Thanks for the welcome - first impressions of owning a Honda - how incredibly easy it is to take things apart....
and how incredibly hard it is to put things back together again....
Hello and welcome, let know how you get on with your 400N.
Welcome Chris.
Regards

Chris
(21-06-2018, 10:05 PM)Classic Honda Wrote: Welcome Chris.

Thank you for your welcome to the HOC UK. I'm not sure if my 1981 CB 400 N qualifies as a classic, but I certainly do...

I would be interested to know if there are any specific forums for my bike (or like bikes), as I have a few questions that need to be asked before I waste time and money inventing the wheel (yet) again.

Thanks - Chris
Chris, our Classic Honda man would be the one to ask. He knows loads and loads.
Alan
Forum Administrator
Forum admin for CB1300 forum

Owns a CBF1000 FAC and a CB1300SA-A
Thanks Alan Big Grin

Chris, your CB400N certainly qualifies as a classic from an age point of view. I had one myself around 20 years ago. They are good dependable bikes if you keep an eye on the cam and balancer chains.
Regards

Chris