Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good morning, I am new to Honda but used to ride bikes in the 60's, a few years ago I got my hands on a Norton Navigator basket case but it was a long term project so bought a Norton Jubilee which was closer to running order so got it going and rode it for a few years until a minor accident about 4 years ago and I decided to do some more work on it. In the mean time I got the offer of a BMW R80RT which I thought wouldn't take long to sort but it needed some major tidying up so that is another project. My daughter bought herself a classic Mini from Minis Bristol Mini's who I thought ripped her off and after driving it for a few years it was obvious it had some major problems with the engine. 1300 HC Mini's should be able to fly up most hills with only 2 on board, i was in second gear and it was struggling so the engine came out. I then retired from work and started sorting the house out but after a couple of years went back to work to help while someone was on light duties due to an accident, after about 4 years I decided it was time to totally finish work and start getting things sorted at home.
My mates in NOC where pushing me to get the Jubilee back on the road but as it was going to take some time I decided to buy something slightly more up to date for the short term and found a 1997 Honda VFR750F which is a total change from what I am used to riding. On one of my runs with NOC I was told my rear light cluster was hanging off, I managed to reassemble it but when I got home I stripped it down to find 2 of the brackets on the RH side panel had been pulled and wouldn't hold it all together. I tried a repair which didn't really work so found a second hand one which needed spraying to change the colour all went well until the laquer stage so need to respray that stage again. In the mean time I did manage a better repair to the original but on reassembly I can't find out how the harness attaches to the bracket on the tail light so any help would be appreciated.
I have also decided to do a 'Winter Service' as I don't know when all the fluids and such where done, I may need help and advice with that also.
Sorry this has been an essay rather than just an introduction but I thought it would be good to get my history out there !!!!! Smile Smile Smile
Welcome, I don't normally post here but for my two penneth I'd start off with a Haynes Manual, other manuals are available, if that don't sound too much like teaching your Grandmother to suck eggs.

With any new old motorcycle, especially where the service history is unknown or unclear, I jump in with a full on major service including engine oil & filter, coolant, brake & clutch fluid, fork oil. Closely followed with air filter, spark plugs and valve clearances etc. Obviously not ignoring all those minor service inspections and checks. I also record everything parts, checks, inspections, notes, dates and mileage. That way you have a good starting point and know exactly where are in the service schedule.
Thumbs Up 
Hi, and welcome Seejay.

Can't go wrong with a VFR for reliability and long service. Agree with 'Art' above, about full fluid and filter change unless you have good service history from the previous owner.
Did somebody say VFR? 😁
Everyone knows Red VFRs are faster than any other colour.